Severns Valley Baptist Church has an incredible history as the oldest evangelical church west of the Allegheny Mountains. Founded in 1781, the church predates even the establishment of Kentucky. Since that time, Severns Valley has grown to a congregation of 1,500 people dedicated to loving God, loving people, and making disciples through corporate worship, community service, and small groups. As members of the Southern Baptist Convention and Kentucky Baptist Convention, through financial support of the Cooperative Program, Severns Valley’s missional engagement reaches “here, near and far” with both regional and global gospel partners. The church is currently being led by a compassionate, highly competent, and Holy Spirit-filled staff leadership team committed to meeting the needs of the community and carrying out the mission of Severns Valley.
Severns Valley is seeking a Lead Pastor who is committed to faithfully preaching the complete Word of God, effectively leading the church and staff, ministering to the needs of people, and overseeing the equipping of the saints.
Severns Valley is located in Elizabethtown, Kentucky, within an hour’s drive of the larger cities of Louisville, Lexington, and Bowling Green, and within two hours of Nashville and Cincinnati. A short drive outside of the city limits allows one to unwind down curvy country roads where farmland is abundant, and the beauty of God’s creation is bountiful. With a population of around 29,000 in Elizabethtown and over 100,000 in Hardin County, the area offers an ever-growing array of dining, shopping, and entertainment while keeping a small-town feel.
Elizabethtown has a revitalized downtown of quaint shopping boutiques, award winning parks and trails to enjoy the beautiful outdoors, and even a state-of-theart sports complex that draws sports affiliations from all over the country. The Elizabethtown area, including nearby Fort Knox military post, offers a diverse, strong and growing economy so those who make a career move to Elizabethtown can rest assured their families will find opportunities as well. The city and surrounding county offer an array of economic avenues ranging from industry, medicine and agriculture. With accomplished private and public-school systems, a strong community college and diverse medical services, Elizabethtown attracts young families and professionals alike with its quality of place. It truly is a hub where people from miles away travel to work, play, and worship.
Severns Valley is looking for a Lead Pastor to unashamedly preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, courageously addressing controversial and difficult issues with truth and grace. The ideal candidate will be a well-rounded pastor experienced in preaching, teaching, discipling, leading, mentoring, and pastoral care. Specific duties include:
• Be prepared to preach 40+ Sundays a year as the primary voice for gospel-centered expository preaching.
• Provide pastoral care to our pastors and leadership groups.
• Effectively lead and empower others towards goals.
• Exercise continued self-education about Biblical and theological issues along with a heart for the KBC, SBC, and Cooperative Program’s home and foreign missions.
• Represent the church in the larger community and with like-minded churches in order to reach the lost.
• Develop and equip leaders including staff and lay leaders.
• Leads the staff and church by example in how to love his wife and children.
• Meet the Biblical requirements for elders as found in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 2.
• Be in full agreement with Severns Valley’s Mission Statement, beliefs, teaching, and core values.
• Show a clear and proven ability and giftedness in preaching, with a particular talent in expository preaching.
• Demonstrate a proven ability to exercise servant leadership.
• Have experience leading within a similar sized church with excellent time management skills.
• Be a compassionate man of integrity, humility, wisdom, prayer and is approachable by all congregants.
• Master’s degree and 10 years of ministry leadership experience preferred